[TenTec] Paragon Keying Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon Keying Problem
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Thu Jul 17 20:25:08 2003
Has anyone run into trouble with the keying on the
Paragon I. On mine, it gets confused when I am
trying to key it at between about 20 to 25 wpm
and do a frequency offset (rit or split mode) at the
same time. Seems that at higher speeds, the
PLL stays locked to the transmit frequency
between characters, and a low speeds it has
time to switch smoothly back and forth between
the TX and RX frequencies. Over the effected
range, it tries to switch, but doesn't have enough
time. As a result, the CW gets choppy and
unintelligible. Unfortunately, when chasing DX,
this speed range is oftentimes also the optimum
speed for calling DX (especially on 160).
The quick solution is to manually switch between
VFOs, but this is getting old. Any suggestions?