[TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 8, Issue 5

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 8, Issue 5
From: tomnorth@airmail.net (Tom North)
Date: Sat Aug 2 23:50:03 2003
Tim,

A little info on the Ten-Tec lineage is here:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w8kc/lineage.htm

I'm pleased with mine, given the vintage, and also have the remote VFO. The
rig, I believe, was the first double conversion rig for TT, perhaps
inspiring the name. The readout bug is alluded to in the manual. Hacked on
WWV @ 10.000, I see 14.300 (MMNet) at 14.303, so I watch the band edges
carefully. Of two of these that I have had, they both exhibited the same
amount of error. While there are a number of bells and whistles one could
wish for, this is a neat rig in quality, features and size that travels
easily to boot. The design of the front panel looks timely, but due to the
choice of materials (injection molded plastic), many have not worn well.

Service and parts are typically Ten-Tec - available at a level that makes
the 'big three' look pretty pathetic from the standpoint of long term
commitment to their customers. Only thing I'd like to see is the continued
availability of the noise blanker for this one (and others), which seems to
be an elusive bird.

73'
Tom  N5OZQ