[TenTec] Re: Continuing Orion evaluation/Dragonball

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Continuing Orion evaluation/Dragonball
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Tue Aug 12 07:38:10 2003
There is a relatively new ( or at least now in vogue, I suspect good
programmers have been using it for years, without realizing the new
paradigm )method in software development "termed test driven development".
It's part of what is now called "extreme programming".  I've seen one
presentation on it, so I'm no expert.

In test driven development, there are test platforms available for many
languages (for Java, there's JUNIT; for .NET, NUNIT, etc). You develop code
by writing a test for a simple part of what software will do. Since you
haven't written any code, when you run the test against the software, the
software will fail the test. You then right the minimum amount of code to
cause the software to pass the test. Then you add another test, and more
software to pass that test. Note, however, that each time you test the
software, it runs against all the previous tests, so if a change you made to
pass a later test broke something that causes the software to fail an
earlier test, you'll know about it when you run the test.

The drawback in the case of the Orion, is that I doubt that there is an
O-UNIT testbed. However, it might be worthwhile for TT to develop such a
testbed.

73,
Mark