[TenTec] Re: Orion CW Sensitivity

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Orion CW Sensitivity
From: "Jim Reid" <jimr.reid@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 08:20:25 -1000
Hi

> Congratulations on your contact with the Op running
> the QRP Rock-Mite.

Thanks to the several who have commented about this
QSO.

> With the current conditions, it is really surprising.

Yes,  the k index had been 5 and 6 for several hours before.
The band was noisy.  Not sure what my S meter read for
the noise,  but was probably around 1 or 2 on the dial.
It was middle noon hour for Nels;  but just past 7:30 AM
out here.

> What band were you guys on?

Nels had the 20 meter Rock-Mite,  it is nailed to 14060,  or
close to it via crystal.

> What antennas were you using?

I used my Force 12 C3,  up about 35 feet.  Not sure of
Nels antenna,  but believe it was a wire of some sort,
nothing special so far as I know.  Nels reported that the
Rock-Mite is not too selective, and he was having
trouble with QRM as well as the band noise.  I was
running about 60 watts,  so that helped him a bit.

> I'm  curious to know if you followed the AGC and filter
> settings suggested by Scott at Ten Tec for weak
> CW work?

No,  at least not on purpose.  I had just downloaded the
1.357 firmware update, so whatever the "default" AGC
settings were for "slow" is how the rig was set.  I narrowed
the BW down,  but found the band noise so bad that I
didn't go much below 400 Hz BW.  More narrow,  and the lite
CW signal seemed to disappear;  it may be that I was
not set precisely on the correct sidetone pitch for the
more narrow filters.  I was so busy trying to hear the
signal to copy that I didn't fiddle much with the controls
at that point.  It was sort of "averted" hearing (for those
of you who might also be into amateur astronomy,  hi).

> If my memory is correct you also have an RX-340?
> Did you try to copy the  same signal with your RX-340?
> If you had time to check this how did the two receivers
> compare?

Unfortunatley,  it did not occur to me to turn the 340 on and
try.  Just too busy dealing with the QRP signal,  hi.

> I have a 20 meter (14060) Rockmite and live on the east coast.
> The output is about 700MW. If you want to try a sched let me
> know.

Sure,  Dick,  I'll email you when the propagation is a bit better,  hi.

Thanks again to the several of you;  hope you don't mind my
combining your questions/thoughts into a single reply.

73 and Aloha,  Jim  KH7M