[TenTec] SB220 and Omni VI

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SB220 and Omni VI
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:05:30 -0400
I've given in to the declining propagation and purchased my first amp. I
picked up a nice Heathkit SB220 to help my Omni VI (opt 3). The SB220 has
the Harbach SoftKey mod installed which I'm told allows most rigs to
directly key the amp (i.e. very low voltage / current required, unlike the
stock SB220).

I'm looking for any tips / precautions / etc that someone might have on
operating the SB220 and the Omni together.

I know that the SB220 is not designed for QSK and I wonder what happens when
I use the Omni's T/R relay to drive the SB220's T/R input in CW. I'm sure
the amp won't keep up, and I won't receive in between elements, but will the
rapid toggling of the T/R input harm the amp? Should I wire up a Tx/Rx
switch that holds the amp in transmit mode and manually switch between Tx
and Rx in CW?

73,
Mark