[TenTec] Three Items

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Three Items
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 10:56:00 -0400
1. Recently, Dave Heil wrote:

"I sold my Omni VI, option 3 to help finance the Orion. I'm not sorry that I did so."

I'm glad he did so. I now own Dave's OMNI VI. On CW, it is one fine radio. Last night I worked AB9DU/VE1 on Cape Breton Island on 20 SSB through a pileup on the first try, so it cannot be all bad on phone either. I have made direct comparisons of the OMNI with an IC-746PRO and an FT-920. The latter shines for its ergonomics--I just think its dandy for CW. Where it doesn't shine is in its receiver's front end. Either the 746PRO or the OMNI beats it hands down. Perhaps the INRAD cascaded filter board mod would bring it up to snuff; I don't know.

As to the IC-746PRO, it is one beautiful radio. It includes some great CW features, including a narrow CW bandwidth--quite a bit narrower than the OMNI's, very good QSK, a versatile internal memory keyer, and lots of filtering flexibility with a robust front end that holds up well in comparison with the OMNI VI. Of course, it is a very modern rig, with software-controlled circuitry replacing analog circuits a la the ORION, and it's built like a tank. (I believe the spectral purity problem on SSB transmit has been addressed, and there have been some reports of a failed diode in the power supply which are being fixed under warranty.) So why am I not using the IC-746PRO? Because (a) it's footprint is quite small and that means a lot of controls are scrunched up and some just aren't there--most especially a "spot" button for tuning CW. Zero-beating a CW sig with the IC-746PRO is a three-step process, and that's annoying. (The FT-920 is hands-down winner for easy zero-beating--it has a visual indicator AND a "spot" button.) And (b) the IC-746PRO does not provide a readout on the display for either CW pitch or keyer speed. Again, annoying, because it does so many things so well.

So the long-in-the-tooth OMNI VI seems to have worked its way into first place on the desk.

2. My thanks to those who have responded so helpfully to my previous posted questions about SWR, etc.

3. Rumor has it that the FCC is (finally!) moving ahead with action on petititons by the ARRL and yours truly to greatly expand Novice/Tech Plus/Tech-with-code certificates HF CW privileges. These were put out for comment in early 2002. It seems to me that whatever the FCC does in this regard, and I expect a favorable response, should preclude the need for any early action on the NCVEC's petition to end code testing for HF access. The new subband privileges will need time to ferment and in the meantime the code/no code issue can be put on the back burner.

73,
John, W3ULS