Re: [TenTec] SGC's ADSP2 board on a TT Omni VI+

To: <johnclif@ix.netcom.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SGC's ADSP2 board on a TT Omni VI+
From: "KQ6XY" <kq6xy@goldrush.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:28:29 -0700
> Hey, there are lies, damn lies, statistics... and press releases.  But
> where's the test data that SHOWS the Argonaut V/ADSP2 has better specs
than
> the Omni VI+?  This is just someone's ASSERTION.
Presumably

> Re the "Omni VI+ has no filtering"... sure it does.  Do you mean that it
has
> no DSP filtering?  It has crystal filtering, which when combined with the
> onboard audio DSP does a fantastic job of eliminating interference and a
lot
> of atmospheric noise especially when copying CW.  I can throw in the 250
Hz
> filter and then switch in DSP... and CW which was barely discernable
against
> the background noise now leaps out and can easily be copied.  Re notch
> filtering... with the tunable notch filter I can easily remove a single
> noise source from the audio.  I'll concede for the sake of argument that
> ADSP2 may be marginally better than the VI+'s built-in audio DSP -- it
does
> offer more configurations to the user.
That is what I would like to find out

> Here's how to add it: SGC offers an outboard ADSP2 Speaker.  Plug it into
> the headphone jack and then you can A/B ADSP versus the Omni VI's integral
> DSP.  I'll grant that DSP has improved since the late '90s... but I
> seriously doubt that an Argonaut V can be improved to Omni VI+ with the
> addition of audio DSP.  You can't magnify something that the receiver
can't
> copy in the first place.  Of course, you don't get the 3 digital filters
in
> the speaker (why not I don't know... I'd build my own speaker with the
> hi-power board, save some $$, and have the better solution).
I believe it would be best to connect the ADSP2 board before the AF
according to what I have read.

> Seriously, while I think the ADSP2 boards offer a lot to hams, I don't
think
> that adding one to any rig, whether it be an SGC 2020 or an Argo V, will
> turn that rig into the proverbial Holy Grail of radios.  But, it's a free
> country.
Yes it is - and don't get me wrong, I love my Omni VI+, but I have used the
sg-2020 with and without the ADSP2 option, and I would not be surprised if
the ADSP2 board was installed in the Omni VI+, one would see a significant
improvement.

You could also add the KDSP2 option to your K2 as I am about to do...

--Larry