[TenTec] 253 Auto tuner questions

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] 253 Auto tuner questions
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 08:20:49 -1000
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a model 253 Automatic Antenna Coupler. I have not yet connected the "band information" cable to my Omni VI. Actually I don't have a cable yet and I guess I'll have to build one. My question is about the bands. According to the manual for the 253 the band information consists of pulling one (and only one) of seven parallel lines to +12 VDC to indicate one of only seven bands. Seven does not seem like enough. My Omni has nine band select buttons, and I would really like to have more than one preset tuning in memory for each band. I'll probably want three or four for 160 meters, three for 80/75 and at least two for 40. I suppose one memory for each of the higher bands might suffice. Perhaps someone else has already done this. I am interested to hear how you may have gone about it. I have considered using a seven position switch instead of connecting it to the Omni VI. I have also been thinking about adding multiple 2404 EEPROM chips and a chip enable selector. Any ideas?

Thanks , Ken N6KB