Re: [TenTec] Request experiences with Centurion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Request experiences with Centurion
From: Carter Grabarczyk <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:40:07 -0400

Mike Hyder --N4NT-- wrote:
If the Orion users departure didn't completely kill this reflector, I'd like
to hear from the Ten-Tec diehards about this:

I'm fixin' to buy an amplifier to replace my SB220 Heathkit that was toasted
by lightning.  I've about decided on the Ten-Tec Centurion 422B and wonder
what experiences you have had with it.

And if you have one, would you buy another one or buy something different?

Mike,

I bought a used Centurion a few years ago. It had a bad "bias board" when I got it, so I bought the Revision C board (to replace the Rev B that was in it) from TT; next, I had a filament pin on one of the 3-500s that had to be re-soldered (nothing to do with TT). Also noticed that the filament voltage was a bit high so I engineered a mod to drop it a bit, but that may have been a quirk from that particular production run of filament transformers.

If you're lucky, you can salvage one or both of the 3-500s from the SB-220 as spares for the TT.

Smooth operating amp, has 160 and WARC bands, great QSK with my Omni VI+ and "instant on" operation. I would get another...

73/Carter/K8VT