Re: [TenTec] PSK METER AND JUPITER

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PSK METER AND JUPITER
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:13:41 -0400
Bob,

I use a PSK Meter with my Pegasus. I remember discussing the problem on this
list (and outside the list) about ALC.

I have gotten the Pegasus and PSK meter to work together.  I suspect the
problems that some are having is that they are not attenuating the soundcard
signal enough before feeding the audio to the radio. Basically, the PSK
Meter software works by adjusting the audio output of your soundcard to try
and achieve a desired transmit waveform (maximum modulation without
clipping). If you feed the output of your soundcard directly to the mic
input or aux input (which is at the same level as the mic input - it's
really not an aux input ) on the Pegasus / Jupiter, you will probably be
running with the soundcard at or very near the bottom of its output range.
The soundcard output level can only be adjusted in discrete steps. So, for
example, if step 1 on the slider is too low and step 2 is too high, there is
no way that the PSK Meter software can't set it to step 1.5, thus it won't
be able to find the proper level.

However, if you put some padding in the circuit, you would be able to get it
so it might be that the level from the old step 1 was now at step 100 and
the old step 2 was step 200. Then the PSK meter could set the level to step
150 (and fine tune with 149 or 151, etc). For padding, I've been just using
a 5k or 10k ohm pot.

As far as a conflict with ALC, that shouldn't be an issue. You should be
running your transmitter at a level below which the ALC kicks in and with a
properly adjusted input level, that PSK Meter software will help you
maintain that level.

One thing I have found helpful with PSK31 and the Pegasus is to leave my RF
Power output all the way up. I then adjust my audio input to give me the
desired RF power level.  If I want to reduce RF power, I reduce the audio
level, not the transmitter RF power output. It seems to me that the Pegasus
/ Jupiter RF Power output works differently than on other (non TT) rigs.

73,
Mark