[TenTec] Yahoo Orion Group

To: <tentec@contesting.com>,"Orion Discussion Group" <TenTec_Orion@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Yahoo Orion Group
From: "Jim Reid" <jimr.reid@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:18:33 -1000
Hi,  It has been written:

> I am sorry that Jim (who began the Yahoo group) didn't
> realize that a house divided against itself cannot stand.

Anyway,  I didn't start the Yahoo Orion discussion group,
Ken Hopper,  N9VV did back in February of 2002,  not long
after Ten Tec announced the coming of Orion a few weeks
earlier.  Ken also authored a very comprehensive web site
about Orion and eventually was a bit "whelmed" with keeping
it up to date as well as "moderating" the discussion group.
He asked for some help,  and I agreed to take on the Yahoo
chore.

We are now,  as of just a few minutes ago up to 346 group
participants.  And,  I hope I am successfully keeping the
spamers/porno promoters out!  It is a daily task,  but does
not usually take too long.  I can usually check on the validity
of the request one way or another since on QRZ you can look
up names as well as call signs.  If I cannot find a legitimate
call sign,  then I will send an email asking why the person
is interested in joining the group.  Usually I get back a short
note AND a call sign also.

I do not monitor the mail submitted before it is posted,  and
you can opt out of the Yahoo marketing program.  It is part
of your Yahoo sign up process.

BTW,  Ken's Orion web site has shrunk back in content now
that the rig is widely shipped,  many in use on the bands and
a new manual out as of today also.  Have you downloaded
the .pdf file yet;  is much different from the original.

Maybe now that Ken is not so busy posting new info about
the Orion,  he wants to take the discussion group chore
back,  as he originated it.  I would have no problem with that
at all,  hi.

While propagation to/from out here in KH6 land has been so
poor for the last many weeks,  at least during my ham radio
hours,  I have been busy with my "other" hobby: theatre
organs and their music.  Have a nice large Allen here and
have spent a lot of time this summer restoring it to service,
including replacing/having the factory repair most of the
many circuit boards within the console.  It is now making
might wonderful theatre music!!

Fall is practically here; my GeoClock program shows the center
of the Sun is only 0.17 degrees North of the Equator now
(0013 UTC); not sure if that is when Summer ends/Fall begins,
or if it was when the "bottom" of the Sun touched the E line,
or how that is determined.  Anyway,  propagation from down
here in the tropics is going to be improving rapidly now.  Am
looking forward to same.

Hope those of you using the Yahoo Orion discussion group are
finding it of some use;  if not,  let me know.  It is remarkably easy
to cause it to vanish -- just a couple clicks.  Or maybe, Ken
would take it back,  hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai