Re: [TenTec] Tuner for the Pegasus

To: <rallen@spsu.edu>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuner for the Pegasus
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:42:35 -0400
Glen,

I'd recommend the LDG AT11MP.

I use the AT11MP with my Pegasus and with other radios when I need a tuner.
I've not had any experience with SGC.

If you purchase N4PY's control software for the Pegasus (see
http://www.ralabs.com/n4py/ ), with a simple interface (described in the
software documentation) it will work automatically when you push the TUNE
button. The Pegasus will reduce power to the preset tune level, put out a
steady carrier and engage the tuning function of the AT11MP. When the tuning
is complete, the Pegasus will shut off the carrier and return to normal
operation all ready to go.

A couple of features that I like in the external tuner.

1) A lot easier to install. The internal tuner is not too hard to install,
but an extra pair of hands would have been helpful. It does require
soldering to the PC boards inside the Pegasus.

2) Usable with other radios when you switch radios (all hams do).

3) The external meter on the tuner is a nice verification that all is
working well in the Pegasus.

The PT-11P has a 'memory' feature where the tuner remembers the setting for
a number of frequencies and is able to more quickly return to that setting.
However, without a memory, the AT11MP is able to tune in a matter of a few
seconds.

The built in balun in the SGC may be a plus, but having an external balun
(available from LDG) has some plusses. When you run balanced lines into the
shack you have to be careful about their routing or their performance will
quickly degrade as they couple with nearby conductors. With an external
balun, you can run coax from the tuner to the balun outside and start the
balanced lines from the balun outside where it is easier to keep in the
clear.

Good luck and enjoy the Pegasus. It's a great radio (had mine almost three
years).

Mark