Re: [TenTec] Narrow Filters on Omni VI

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Narrow Filters on Omni VI
From: Jim <jlboockh@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:54:12 -0500
Using a narrow filter in the 9 mhz IF eliminates the RTTY signal from the passband. A wide filter >2100 hz makes it audible.

You can use a narrow filter in the 6.4 mhz IF and make the RTTY signal audible by turning the PBT knob to about 3 o'clock. Usually I just use a wide filter.

I have a TT Model 216 digital filter in my Omni V.9 in Greece, and it works great. Someday I will get one for my Omni VI+ in the USA. If you want to use a narrow filter on RTTY, the 216 is the way to go.

I wanted to use FSK with my Omni's so I can set the sound card output level for PSK31 and not have to adjust it for AFSK.

Jim N4AL

Mark Erbaugh wrote:
I'm trying to set up my Omni VI (opt 3) for the upcoming RTTY contest.  I
have 250 and 500 Hz filters in both IFs. The 9 MHz filters are centered for
CW.

What the difference in using a narrow filter in the 9 MHz IF vs the 6 MHz
IF. I do realize that I can center the passband of the 6 MHz with the PBT
adjustment.  Would performance improve if I cascaded filters using a 250 in
each IF. Since I'm can use AFSK that should be possible, I just won't be
using "standard" RTTY tones.

I understand that if I want to use FSK, I'd have to use the 6 MHz filter and
offset it with PBT. The passband of the 9 MHz filter is not going to pass
standard RTTY tones.

Also, what are the other pros and cons of using FSK vs AFSK? I realize that
with AFSK, I have to worry about the computer audio level and that it
probably takes a little more horsepower from the computer / soundcard to
generage the AFSK tone, but is there anything else to consider?

73,
Mark