[TenTec] new Orion group on Yahoo

To: roth@myway.com
Subject: [TenTec] new Orion group on Yahoo
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:34:07 -0400
Hi Joe --

   While I'm always happy to see people take initiative, perhaps those who
organized this new Yahoo group about the Orion missed
some important points of the earlier discussion... and therefore don't fully
understand why the original Yahoo group was terminated.

   There are more than a few people who do NOT want to participate in ANY group
on Yahoo because of privacy policy problems.  These
individuals, who would very much like to be part of any discussions about the
Orion radio, have reviewed Yahoo's policy on the
treatment of personal information and, in their own judgment, find it lacking
in protection.  While some people may not feel that
Yahoo's approach to protecting (or not protecting) personal data (and using
that data for third-party marketing) is inadequate,
others do feel it is sufficiently important to them as to preclude
participation in Yahoo groups.  I am just one of those with such
concerns.

   To create another Yahoo-based group is to exclude these people from the
discussion and from access to the archives.  If Orion
enthusiasts feel that a separate discussion is necessary, PLEASE consider using
something other that Yahoo to host it.
Contesting.com would be a fine solution.

-- Eric K3NA