[TenTec] Separate Lists

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Separate Lists
From: Don Sachnoff <kx9q@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 08:56:45 -0500
I think it is unfortunate that all it seems like is everyone is complaining about separate lists. I happened to follow the lists both here and on yahoo and I was surprised in what appeared to be in a weeks time a decision was made to close the yahoo orion list and then it was no more. Why? I have heard talk about spam, personal information, radio is no longer new, etc. Well spam is a way of life. Once you start browsing the internet you open yourself up. For those of you who are familiar with the spyware software all you have to do is go through your registry (assuming nt4, 2k, or xp) and you might be surprised. It doesn't come from yahoo. Yes, there are programs out there that will help eliminate most of the problems but you have to search for them, install them, and then maintain them for updates just like the antivirus software - remember that beast. Likewise there are anti spam programs that will help reduce the amount of spam you read though not necessarily reduce the amount of spam you receive. Will it completely remove it - no because regardless how smart the software is there is still no way of knowing spam from a real message.

Rather than complain all you have to do is unsubscibe and be done with whatever irritates you. Going through a single list for all the TenTec radios is a pain as it is for the Icom radios, Yeasu (Vertex) radios, etc. If there is someone out there that is willing to take on the burden of creating and maintaining a seperate list dedicated to a single radio, I think that is great. At least we can then eliminate the chaff from the wheat in order to read what we are interested in. Isn't that the purpose of a reflector?

Don - kx9q