Re: [TenTec] Displaying radio data externally, or a new way tobuildradio

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Displaying radio data externally, or a new way tobuildradios
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:39:15 -0700 (PDT)
--- Mark Erbaugh <mark@microenh.com> wrote:
> > It's too bad that the Flex-Radio SDR1000 isn't
> built
> > on a PCI card, I would think that it would then
> have
> > even greater potential than it already has. As it
> is
> > the parallel port control I/O is somewhat limiting
> > especially when using NT kernel based OSes like
> Win2K
> > or XP.
>
> That would be nice, but I imagine that inside a
> computer is a pretty nasty
> with computer generated RFI.

Yes it is, - but it can be managed. From the reviews
I've read the folks at Winradio have done a good job
of keeping all that nasty noise out of the G303i PCI
RX card they've recently introduced.

> > For the Pegasus/Jupiter I would think that a
> special
> > "mode" could be created in firmware that is
> > specifically designed for sweeping, a "mode" that
> > produces no audio, therefore the AGC action could
> be
> > optimized for sweep performance. Perhaps with that
> > functionality 1-2 second sweeps for 150 KHz would
> be
> > then do-able. As it is now anything faster than
> 4-5
> > seconds per 150KHz sweep will sawtooth.
>
> Even better would be an automatic sweep function
> that would do the sweep
> (with special AGC) and then report 150 SMeter values
> back to the computer.
> With the Jupiter it would be just a matter of using
> the sweep that displays
> on the LCD, but providing those results to the
> computer. With the Pegasus,
> they'd have to add some code from the Jupiter.

Agreed, but I suspect that using a 500Hz step size
would be better though because there is a 2.5 KHZ LO1
tunning step size constraint to deal with in the
Pegasus/Jupiter. Therfore either way some of the sweep
display's frequency "tuning" will still need to be
done in the DSP code anyhow so it doesn't really
matter all that much software-wise if the steps are
1KHz or 500Hz.

Duane
N9DG