Re: [[TenTec] Opinions on StepIR vertical]

To: <dock0evz@earthlink.net>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [[TenTec] Opinions on StepIR vertical]
From: Michael Goins <mgoins@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:33:50 -0500
Doc,

Depends on if you want to go commercial or want the challenge of homebrewing.
I used a multiband vertical dipole for a long time, roof mounted at about 25
feet. Used a small tripod on the roof to hold 22 feet of aluminum going up and
used a heavy wire down to a ground rod. Fed the middle with coax (hot up, coad
down, obviously) and it loaded fine on 10-30 meters. If I were to do it again,
I'd probably use feeders instead, as 30 and 40 was a bit touchy to load, and
would not load 80 all over the band. Used LDG tuners at the time to autolaod
the antenna and they worked great.

I run 1 watt here virtually all the time, CW, SSB, PSK, and that's why the OHR
rig wasn't used much by me. The mobile is even 1 watt.

Worked an awful lot of DX with the antenna above and it was unobtrusive and
easy to get together. Worked really well on 10 and 20, a little less so on 15,
and worked anyone I could hear on 30.

72,
mike
K5WMG
Formerly WB5YJX
QRP-ARCI 3922 (former managing editor, QRP Quarterly), Houston QRP, AMQRP,
SOC 54, Flying Pig 447, QRP-L 2130, Adventure Radio 810, Alaska QRP 514, Iowa
QRPC #163, QCWA 30857, RSGB 19119