[TenTec] Orion B/W versus color radio

To: "TT@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion B/W versus color radio
From: David Perrin <dbp@tds.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:11:49 -0400
        I thought the talk was about the cabinet and front panel!
        Nearly a year ago I got hooked on the color screen idea while waitng
for the Orion to debut. I purchased a Pro II color screen and all. The
color display was "fun" at first but shortly it became distracting. For
me and my operating stance there was too much information. This is,
after all radio. We are processing sound data. We need circuits to
manage the sound we listen to or have the computer process. The color of
the ocean against the evening sky and the myriad of colors to choose for
the  four frequency displays did not aid in my operating.
        Having seen the Orion a few times, the display to me seems to be a good
balance of function not entertainment. I am concerned as to the
volatility of color screens, the cost to replace and the time off line
should it be needed. LED's go back 25 years and can still be replaced,
will these screens be available in another 20 years? I ask myself: "Does
this feature make me hear the signal better?" I didn't find that color
helped.
        But, what about an Orion in the OMNI VI color scheme, I am still
waiting.

73 de K1OPQ