RE: [TenTec] Scout Questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Scout Questions
From: "RON ZOND" <K3MIY@CSONLINE.NET>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:57:41 -0400
From: tentec-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:tentec-bounces@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Edward Crawford
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2003 12:38 AM
To: tentec
Subject: [TenTec] Scout Questions

I have just finished reading through 200 pages pertaining to the Scout in
the archives and did not find answers to my Q's so I thought I would ask
here. Also don't find any reference to this in the manual copy I have. I
believe this is a very early Scout and a later manual, according to the
previous owner.

Did the early rigs transmit full power in the tune position? According to
the manual and from everything I have read it says 15 watts on tune. The guy
I bought it from said the early Scout's did this and this one does.

No, the early rigs put out 15 watts

What are the graduations on the SWR section of the meter? Is the second hash
mark on the scale 2:1 and beyond that infinity or what? In the alignment
section of the manual it says to adjust R12 for a 2:1 reading on the meter
but gives no indication of how the meter is graduated. No markings on the
meter scale.

Second hash mark is 2:1

How does the mobile bracket attach to the radio? Is it a cam or spring lock
design or something else? I have read that the factory bracket was not very
substantial and would like to fabricate one of my own if possible. May be
interested in a bracket if anyone has one reasonably el-cheapo.

the bracket works ok. There is a spring loaded adjustment on the side. I
used the bracket upside down. Worked fine

I am enjoying the rig very much so far. The rx is just what I would expect
from the other T-T rigs I have had. Made many contacts with it from the base
but the goal is to use it mobile. I have it installed mobile now but needing
to do a little more work on the wiring and grounding and mounting. This is
my first attempt at HF mobile besides 10M and it seems to be a bit of a
challenge. I have never thought about SWR changing at hiway speeds. There I
go not thinking again.

Your thoughts on this will be very much appreciated.
Looking forward to doing the 20M T-T net mobile or portable sometime.
vy 73 de ed/w4wvw