Re: [TenTec] Centurion II

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion II
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 08:10:33 -1000

as much as 30 amps AC at 120V which may be a wiring / fire hazard unless you have a pretty new home with modern wiring in it.

Every new home constuction that I have looked at uses 14 gauge "Romex" style cable to feed multiple outlets. Even if this were used for a single dedicated outlet, it would still not be satisfactory for 30 amps.

I bought a heavy duty 10 guage 3 wire extension cord and wired into my dryer outlet to run mine.

I have seen dryer outlets with 50 amp circuit breakers. Assuming the wiring was done properly, this would supply the current you need for the amplifier without excessive voltage sag. A 10 gauge extension cord would supply plenty of current to the amplifier, however if there were a fault in the extension cord, a 50 amp circuit breaker might not pop before the extension cord starts a fire. It would be safer to replace the 50 amp breaker with a 30 amp one, provided the work is done by someone who knows how to do it safely.

Better safe than sorry.

YES!

73 DE N6KB