Re: [TenTec] 450 ohm open line feed with ten tec tuner

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 450 ohm open line feed with ten tec tuner
From: w8au@sssnet.com
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:12:12 -0400
At 08:11 PM 10/19/2003, you wrote:
now, it's been a while since I've used open line, but any ideas on how to
get it into the shack?

and, should I use a external balun with the 238 tuner to keep the open line
outside the shack?

or would the internal balun work better? but have the feed line inside the
shack?

Man, you're opening up a can of worms, Mike! :-) You're going to get all sorts of suggestions......

I run my "true" open line (wire with ceramic or plastic spreaders) down to where it enters the house,
then splice the vinyl 450 ohm stuff to it and run it thru a PVC conduit into the shack. This way
the lines do not short to each other, and all is well.

Certainly not necessary to add baluns and run coax inside. In fact, save a dB or two and skip
the baluns. (or more dB, even, if the reactive component is high)

Hope all is well at the Bryce mansion...

PB