Re: [TenTec] Orion Tx Audio

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Tx Audio
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:43:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Mark Erbaugh wrote:

> Recently, I came up with another possibility, which may be closer to the
> mark, given that there might be one or two Orion users who aren't audio
> wizards <g>. When I used an Orion on SSB, I was just using a stock TT
> 705 mic, I noticed that the power meter read close to 100 watts on
> peaks. On all other 100 watt radios, I usually only see 30 to 50 watts
> on these peaks. The Orion documentation mentions this fact and says that
> this is a feature of the Orion's design. I notice this increase in peak
> power even with the Orion's speech processor turned off.

I use the Studio One mic on my Jupiter and based on some audio reports
from very distant DX I have had the best luck with these settings below:

TX Filter BW: 2400
Speech Proc: 50%
TX Roll Off: 550Hz
Mic Gain: 30%
Power: 100%

I keep the mic very close to my mouth so I suspect that is why the tx roll
off is necessary that high.

But with these settings I get peaks easy at 100W output (using the
Jupiter's output on-screen meter) and the average is about 50-75.

I need to jump on the tentec net and give it a try.  Unfortunately my 40
meter dipole dishes a fair amount of RF back to the shack because of its
location but i'd like to get some reports from other tentec owners.

73 Jason W0JSB