Re: [TenTec] Re: Rudimentary SWR question...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Rudimentary SWR question...
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 00:05:59 +0000
Well, if I may - Krauss passes over it with a casual comment to the effect that
"under the best conditions half the signal is lost to the medium and half is
delivere to the transmission line."  Excuse the semi-quotation, I'm a few miles
from my library. But to continue....

Back in the 1930's Stephenson put it a bit more plainly. He said that if the
transmission line impedance matches the antenna half the signal that impinges
on the antenna will be reradiated, and the other half will be delivered to the
transmission line and eventually to the reciever. If the match is less than
perfect the percentage of reradiation increases while the signal delivered to
the reciever decreases. Followed a series of equations showing that the signal
down the transmission line decreased by half when the mismatch was 6:1, etc.,
etc.. In fact - the percentage of reflected power on transmit is the same as
the percentage of reradiated power on recieve.

Now - in these days when most recievers have enough excess gain to run you out
of the house when you short the antenna terminals and turn the volume up that
reradiation is not really all that critical. After all, what difference does it
make if the signal is 100 microvolts or only fifty. Besides a mark on the S
meter face.

However, in Stephenson's time most hams were lucky to make fifty cents a day
and even the $39.95 for a Halliscratcher 5-T Sky Buddy was far beyond the
typical hams means. So a lot of the fraternity used whatever parts they could
scrounge from the dump to build one and two tube "recievers." My first, thanks
to a very patient Elmer, was a double TRF circuit driving a 36 "grid leak
detector" and another 36 "amplifier," and we were lucky to hear much of
anything at all on it. So recieving antenna efficency was of critical interest.

So yes, there was a lot of interest in resonant antennas, tuned feeders, and
anything else that would persuade a weak signal from the other end of the state
to become a copyable signal. Without spending any money! Sweat was readily
available, money might have been on the other side of the moon.

Nowadays, that's mostly academic. Except for one thing. Computer modelling of
the highly touted "all band wonderwires" on the market show feedpoint SWRs in
excess of 100. I have tried several, under circumstances where I could compare
them on on one with a dipole, and have not been impressed with either the
transmit or recieve performance of any of them.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E