Re: [TenTec] Latest BPL events...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Latest BPL events...
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 05:19:51 -0400

Ken Brown wrote:

Using unbalanced HV (or medium voltage) power distribution seems to be a new thing here in the USA. I have been looking at power lines as long as I can remember, and the use of one hot lead and one grounded lead for the distribution on the primary side of the pole pig transformers is something I have only seen in the last several years.

I see the same thing here where I live in one of the Boston suburbs. There is a single HV line along the poles here and a smaller ground wire. That's it - I always thought there had to be one voltage line for each phase. Looking at the pole pigs there is a 75 stamped on the side which I guess means the distribution line is 7500 volts. How the heck are they doing this? Some form of QAM? :-)

So for 220VAC applications, how does this work? Do you know of any links that discuss this and the performance implications?

The AC service I have is not the same as I am accustomed to. There are quick 1/10th second moments where the lights in the house are a bit brighter, other times the line voltage sags to about 110V or goes as high as 122VAC.

Also, I notice that the local electric company uses some kind of broadband signalling across the line because occasionally a burst of S9 packet-ish noise lasts for about a half second - on MixW it appears very clearly as a bunch of carriers. When I am running 100W I notice sometimes it must interfere with their signalling because it has to retry a few times.

regards, Jason W0JSB