Re: [TenTec] RX-340 Problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RX-340 Problem
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:46:19 -0500
did you try hitting it? That often fixes or makes it worse.

73
Bill wa4lav

At 03:24 PM 10/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Yesterday, when I was using my Pegasus / RX-340 combo (using N4PY software),
the top left LED display (the one with filter, PBT, etc) info went blank.
The functions still seem to work okay, both under software control and via
the front panel (at least the functions appear to work using the front panel
as evidenced by a change in the received audio - this display stays blank).
I tried a RS232 reset with no effect, although the radio did go through the
reset process. Neither did powering off and back on (several times). I ran
all the diagnostic (BITE) tests and no errors were detected. The display
went blank during a period of receive only operation, so I don't want to
blame RF getting back into the RX340.

I was about to assume that the display driver or display had failed, but
then I tried a hardware reset (hold down C key on numeric keypad during
power up).  This is where things get interesting. A couple of times, this
display actually did come up with its normal display, but after a few
seconds it went blank again. One time, it briefly flashed something that
went a way before I could see what it was, several resets later, the display
stayed visible for 5 or 10 seconds, long enough that I could see that it was
the normal display.  Several other master resets didn't result in any
display.

The other two displays seem to be functioning normally. All the lighted
buttons around the affected display seem to be lighting as appropriate.

I opened the radio and made sure the interconnection cables between the
boards were secure.

I contacted TT Service and they recommend returning the radio, which I
intend to do. I just thought I'd throw this out to the reflector and see if
there are any additional suggestions.

73,
Mark