Re: [TenTec] Re: what is so special about heil microphone elements?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: what is so special about heil microphone elements?
From: "Bill Fulling" <w4njf@email.midflorida.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:12:13 -0500
Hi Tom,
Haven't tried any of Bob's mikes on my Jupiter yet,so I can't comment on
them.However your comments on mike impedance are right on the money.I have a
modified D-104 that worked real good with my Scout-when I got the Jupiter,it
would not fly;seems the input Z of the Scout is abt 100K ohms(which is a
10/1 Z mismatch according to the data I pulled out of 1936 ARRL Handbook-I
do boatanchor restorations and these old Handbooks really come in handy.When
I got the Jupe,I found out that yhe input Z was <50K (abt a 20/1 mismatch)
and it would not drive the Jupe w/o putting a FET preamp in the base and
using a Heil XT-1 matching xfmr wired in REVERSE to get a good match to the
Jupe.FYI,the data in the 1936 Hdbk gives the  Z of an unamplified D-104 as >
1meg;great for tube sets but not so good for solid state.Just remember,some
fella named Thevinin postulated the for max transfer of energy,the Zof the
source must equal the Z of the load.
Best 73 de Bill W4NJF