[TenTec] RE: OT: E-mail Tax ???

To: "'tentec@contesting.com'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: OT: E-mail Tax ???
From: "Hsu, Aaron" <aaron.hsu@unistudios.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:23:00 -0800
In a nutshell, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill that would
permanently ban taxes on the internet, but I read earlier this week that the
Senate looks like it might put their version of the bill on hold, thus
ending a moritorium on internet taxes on Nov 1.

I can't find the article I read recently about the latter, but here are a
links to other related articles...

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-5096010.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/09/17/HNhouseinternet_1.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/09/24/HNinternettax_1.html

Ahhh, I found it.  It's an article in the 10/27/2003 issue of eWeek Magazine
(formerly PCWeek) on page 14.  From the first paragraph of the article,
"...while most lawmakers favor making the ban permanent, a small group of
U.S. senators last week held up the initiative...".  Further in the article,
it states that Senator Lamar Alexander (R - Tenn.) is one of these Senators,
and, ironically, he voted for the original moritorium on 'net taxes a few
years back.  He's asking the senate now to let it die a natural death.

So, I guess we'll find out officially tomorrow whether or not companies will
be able to start taxing internet commerce.

73,

  - Aaron Hsu, NN6O