[TenTec] RE: Orion & SSCW - Comments?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Orion & SSCW - Comments?
From: "" <unger_j@mediasoft.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 12:29:37 -0500
I worked my Orion pretty hard in Sweepstakes CW this weekend, and the rig ran
flawlessly for the entire time except for one time when I had the same problem
with the only white noise coming from VFO A. I did check and found that VFO B
was working fine, but just powering the radio off and on fixed the problem.

I was running B with about 50-60 watts out to an Alpha 78 most of the time, but
operated LP at 100 watts some of the time when just S&Ping. I did notice that
the rig got pretty warm after being on the air and transmitting almost
continuously for many hours; I think that I will order the aux fan just to be
on the safe side for these kinds of operations.

I was using version 1.358 of the firmware because all of the more recent
updates have a fuzzy CW sidetone in my headphones; something that would drive
me crazy sitting at the radio for long periods. I have my Orion interfaced with
TRLog version 6.78 and the frequency readout and band changing worked fine.

I was operating with a SO2R setup with my Omni VI+ as the second radio; it's a
combination that it hard to beat!

73 - John, W4AU