[TenTec] Titan 425 & TT Transceiver QSK

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Titan 425 & TT Transceiver QSK
From: "elstar-mt" <elstar@elstar.fi>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:51:20 +0200
I wish to exchange experience on TT QSK.
When I had Corsair II and Paragon with 425 , QSK was perfect.
Between dots and dashes the big and slow Vacuum relay was silent and got
active
only between words on over 250 mS abt. cap on keying.

On Omni VI and Orion I have problem on QSK.
K4 / Vacuum relay is activating on every dot and dash keeping voice and
life time is getting shorter that way.

I have connected KEYing Loops with two RCA as in Instruction manuals and
tried even
3rd RCA cable on VOX/PTT -  AMP1

Original Relay K4 and my modification relay makes same.
I have changed Vacuum relay to faster and more silent "robot relay"  which
takes
only 20% of delay compared to vacuum relay and is also more silent.
Vacuum relay is sensitive for cool hamshack  ( below 50 F ) .

I have done self QSK amplifier using 4CX1000A / same output as from Titan
and
QSK I made with same "robot" type relays  ( 1,85- 1,90 mS / release
2,0-2,25 )
It was perfect.
Using Tetrode , it´s quite easy.

I wish your experience and advise ; Mark OH3LX.