Re: [TenTec] SSB Bandwidth, readability, power, etc.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SSB Bandwidth, readability, power, etc.
From: "George, W5YR" <w5yr@att.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:23:08 -0600
From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 6:14 AM
Subject: [TenTec] SSB Bandwidth, readability, power, etc.

> Output power is limited to 1500 watts measured
> with a peak-responding meter.  For sake of argument,
> assume my TX bandwidth is set to 1800 Hz.  If I am
> transmitting my 1500 watts into an 1800 Hz BW, does this
> mean I would be 3 dB stronger than someone transmitting
> his 1500 watts into a 3600 Hz BW?
>
> It seems to me like this should be true if the meter
> were measuring the integrated peak power within the chosen
> BW, but I think this falls apart since peak meters only respond
> to peaks anywhere within the BW (i.e. not integrated).  Intuitively
> it makes sense to only use the minimum part of the voice
> spectrum that maximizes readability, but I wonder if this power
> argument makes any sense?

In addition to the question of how one would measure this operation, it is
also true that the signal power is not uniformly distributed within
whichever bandwidth is chosen. The lower frequencies require much more power
than the high frequencies, so it may well be that the "average" power as
perceived by the distant listener is very little different in the two cases.
The added 1800 Hz on the high end probably will not contain nearly as much
power as the lower 1800 Hz.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"Starting the 58th year and it just keeps getting better!"
w5yr@att.net

ist