Re: [TenTec] Inrad Mods

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inrad Mods
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:23:41 -1000

If I didn't
want to alter the TX bandwidth, Would putting the 2.8 filter in one of the 2 narrow 9 mhz IF
slots work? that way I could leave the 2.4 in for Transmit, and since Rob Atkinson said that the Narrow slots do not alter TX, I would be affecting recieve only.

In my Omni VI (which is not a + version) the 2.4 kHz filter is ALWAYS in the receive AND transmit signal path, except in FM mode. When you use a NARROW 9 MHz IF filter, it is cascaded with the 2.4 kHz filter in receive, and is never in the transmit signal path. Depending on the steepness of the skirts of the 2.4 kHz filter, putting a 2.8 kHz filter with steeper skirts after the 2.4 in the receive path might make a difference. Usually equal bandwidth or narrower filters are used after the first filter.

It is possible that the OMNI VI+ does not have that 2.4 kHz filter in ALWAYS the way my Omni VI does. I don't have a schematic so I cannot say. I really would like to know.

DE N6KB