Re: VS: [TenTec] Fixing a Paragon...

To: elstar@elstar.fi, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: VS: [TenTec] Fixing a Paragon...
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer" <geraldj@isunet.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:17:50 -0600
As I recall reading on this list, Paragon logic boards have had a
tendency to suffer from poor soldering and many miscellaneous problems
have been fixed by simply manually resoldering every connection on the
PC board.

I know from experience with other brands, that board grounding by
mounting screws goes bad with age as the plastic flows under the
pressure of the screw and removes that pressure and the contact. Many
radios are fixed by tightening the mounting screws that supply grounds.
When I was a Collins in the 60s, connections that depending on squeezing
plastic, even hard thermoset plastic like Cinch-Jones barrier strips,
were not allowed. No matter how convenient it would have been to use one
of the strip mounting screws for a shield ground it was verboten. I've
seen that sort of failure in other places like the marker lights on my
vintage Airstream. I fixed them removing the plastic and they've been
very reliable for three years.

73, Jerry, K0CQ

--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer.
Reproduction by permission only.