[TenTec] Software defined surprises

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Software defined surprises
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 01:36:22 +0000
As Yuri says, if the software people and the hardware people aren't on the same
page you got problems. And if your hardware is done and the software people
decide to add a bunch of neat new features without considering the hardwares
capabilities you are also toast.

But I don't really understand Yuri's insistance on keying with the PTT on the
mike connector. Both the internal keyer and pin 3 (black jack) of the AUX
connector key the TX. As will the key line if that is enabled on SSB.

At present I have parallel port keying adapters on both the DOS and Windoze
computers and an accessory keyer going to AUX, all connected to a 6 RCA jack
terminal board mounted in a small box. I'm sure a smart young man like Yuri
could build a multi RCA jack adapter in a small box and add whatever sort of
extra turn on the rig switch he might be used to. Without digging into the
Orion's innards.

Maybe force of habit rules - but I try not to get in a habit of anything except
breathing.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E