Re: [TenTec] INRAD Orion roofing filters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] INRAD Orion roofing filters
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:38:31 -0600
My short answer, following the CW SS a couple of weekends ago (my first
contest operating an Orion) was that there was no signal outside the DSP
passband that appeared to present anything I could hear within the
passband.  This was with the stock roofing filter setup - no additional
filters.  Strongest signals I took note of were S9+30 dB.  They simply
disappeared when the BW was narrowed.  Doing just S&P, I found 300 Hz BW
was about right most of the time, but occasionally narrowed it to 100 Hz.
 Very, very nice sounding, easy copy.  Of course, all were stateside
signals, but I did search out some weak QRP signals to see how they
sounded - again, no problem pulling them out of the mess.  Very
impressive.  Now to get RTTY wired up . . .

        73, Duane

> Mark Erbaugh wrote:
>
>  >Did you make any comparisions between then 400 Hz roofing filter
> and the
> stock roofing filter?

 . . . snip . . .

Duane Calvin, AC5AA