[TenTec] CW Audio in Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] CW Audio in Orion
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 06:58:50 -0500
K4IA wrote:
>I am gun shy about IF DSP after my experience with a 756Pro -- the
buzzy raspy CW receive was hard on my ears.

        Craig, the Orion's audio is the most pleasant I've ever heard on
CW, surpassing my previous gold standard, the Kenwood TS-930S.  Even
Orion's 100 Hz DSP filter is very pleasant to use because Orion
automatically widens the DSP shape factor as BW is reduced.  You must
have been listening to a very narrow filter with sharp skirts on your
Pro, but you CANNOT make an Orion sound bad on CW even if you use the
narrowest filter settings.

        I am a musically-inclined person, season symphony ticket holder,
played the Viola in HS orchestra, have a very good sense of pitch and
am sensitive to tone distortion.  I will tell you that listening to CW
on the Orion is truly music to my ears.

        The contrast to an MP (which I used for 6.5 years previously) is
like night and day.  I almost NEVER used the MP's DSP because it sounded
so bad, and now I routinely use the 110 Hz DSP in the Orion.  I HATED
having to zero-beat with the MP because the Spot tone had so much
distortion (must have been a square wave).  It was truly difficult to
zero-beat because I was never sure which of the multiple harmonics I was
hearing was the fundamental.  With Orion I can zero-beat to the exact Hz
because the Spot tone is so pure.  I do hope Ten-Tec will extend the
Spot range to 200 Hz and then it will be better than my trusty TS-930S
in every respect (because I like to use very low tones for weak signal
DX-ing on the low bands).

If good CW audio is your thing, you will love Orion.

73, Bill W4ZV