RE: [TenTec] AM with the centurion amp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] AM with the centurion amp
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 04:05:29 +0000
Adam's comments about the Centurion on AM are correct - but two more items
deserve mention.

The first is that 375 Watts of resting carrier is the legal limit under FCC
rules. As Adam says, that's completely equivalent to 1500 Watts PEP SSB.

The second is that overmodulation not only causes flat topping on positive
peaks, it causes "flat bottoming" on negative peaks as well. You should be able
to see a complete sine wave with no distortion on both positive and negative
peaks. That is, your scope pattern with sine wave modulation should be a series
of smooth sine waves with NO straight lines anywhere.

If you get a flat top, or get that straight line between individual pulses,
please back off on the audio gain. 90 percent modulation sounds great. 101
percent modulation sounds awful.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E