[TenTec] AM with Centurion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] AM with Centurion
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:55:49 +0000
The Centurion is rated at 1.2 kw pep for SSB and 1 kw for cw. On AM, I'd run it at 250 watts just to be on the safe side (particularly in the beginning) and kind of watch the plates and check the heat coming out if you're doing a long transmission. I think Ten Tec specs it at around 10 minutes continous duty for digital at low power output but those modes aren't putting out all that sideband energy. I have no idea how much drive you will need for 250 watts.

My experience has been modern transceivers are lousy on AM. I know of one that puts out 25 watts which is understandable (100 w. sideband rig) but modulates the carrier to only 60%, perhaps because the PA can't handle more.
AM is pretty tough to do well these days. By well I mean a solid signal with nice sounding full modulation. The AM guys got the short end of the stick when the FCC changed the legal limit and measurement method. About the only way to do it right is homebrew or finding a boat anchor that allows for 100% plate modulation of the final amp with a big modulation transformer, then you have to deliver a decent clean audio frequency signal to the rig.

Everything about AM screams continuous duty. Running a 375 watt (or maybe more outside U.S.) carrier for very long puts you in a different league demanding beefed up matching networks and feedline if you have much SWR on it. Power supplies have to be collossus along with cooling. Modern day sideband amps are just too dinky for this. Now you know why the old full gallon transmitters of the 1950s were 6 feet tall racks and had to be on concrete floors. Also, hanging a carrier and modulating it may get you into more trouble with the neighbors.

I've tuned across the AM windows and many of the signals I have heard have not sounded very good probably because of the aforementioned difficulties. Some of them make a clean 3 khz wide SSB signal sound beautiful. I am not an AMer but I can say that if you are willing to make the effort it can be extremely rewarding. You will learn a lot. Most of the AM guys are very very knowledgeable about circuitry--they have to be these days.

Summary: Modulating a low level stage to drive an amp -- okay for infrequent AM operation but not the best if you are going to operate it a lot. You might investigate Class E AM solid state transmitters. I have heard them and they sound like broadcast stations. Do a google search for Class E AM for more information. One more point: If you go the boat anchor route, I advise not even hauling one home until you have set up a fairly complete basic repair bench unless you already have one.
My opinions--yours may (probably will) differ.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ