[TenTec] Bav. Cont. Club Review of Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Bav. Cont. Club Review of Orion
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:31:57 -0500
A very helpful commentary. I think the reviewer may have used an IC-746 rather than an IC-746PRO in his comparison because he talks about cascaded 2.4 kHz SSB filters, something that is missing from the 746PRO.

I'm going to do my own modest experiment this weekend in the CW contest, using my trusty OMNI VI (Opt. 3) and my 746PRO with my Carolina Windoms to see which transceiver I like better under tough conditions. The 746PRO gives you lots of filter options like the Argonaut and Pegasus/Jupiter (not nearly as many as the Orion), and also uses 15 kHz crystal roofing filters. We shall see . . .

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

73,
John, W3ULS