[TenTec] Waiting for Transceiver Nirvana

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Waiting for Transceiver Nirvana
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:18:05 -0500
While waiting for zero hour of the CQ WW CW contest, these thoughts occur on the recent postings re software-driven base station rigs.

1. They are (with the odd exception of the IC-746PRO) damnably expensive. If it's not the chips that make them so, then it is the humungous engineering effort needed to make them work well.

2. If Moore's law still prevails, then any chip chosen for a software-driven radio will be replaced in 18 months by one that is half as costly and that has twice the computing power. Ergo, much more so than with the analog rigs we know and love, rapid obsolescence of the latest and greatest software-driven rig is a given.

3. Because the ham market is downscale with regard to pricing, we do not see the performance in ham market software-driven transceivers that is available up-market. Compromises in ham gear necessarily are made: in selection of chips, and in their engineering, to meet the ham market price point (ICOM obviously will be testing the upper limits of the ham market with its IC-7800). There are all kinds of compromises in the ICOM PROs, and so also in the ORION, hence the discussions on this and other reflectors.

4. Therefore, while we may like to think we are seeing in the latest rigs the absolute latest and greatest--we aren't, and we won't. After all, we're radio amateurs.

5. The bad news is that as advances in this genre gradually trickle down to hams, the resulting rigs will be expensive (by ham standards), their performance will be markedly better than their predecessors, and we'll repeatedly have to dig into our pocketbooks to pay for that performance if we just cannot live without the next new thing.

In short, chasing after transceiver nirvana is going to be an expensive fling. I may opt out.

73,
John, W3ULS