[TenTec] Orion Programmable AGC Problem

To: "Ten-Tec @ Contesting. Com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Programmable AGC Problem
From: "Ken & Linda Burrough" <w8keb@1st.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:41:53 -0500
Hi All

There seems to be a lot of discussion on the reflector about the
Programmable AGC.  A Friend suggested I post my settings on the reflector
after he set up his Orion with the settings I sent him.

I do not like high back ground noise when operating CW.  Here are the
settings I us as of today.  On the Slow, Med and High  AGC settings the only
difference is the Decay setting.  This stopped most of the background noise
but still lets weak signals get into the system.  The Programmable setting
is from Scott's article OPTIMAL USES OF ORION RECEIVER FOR WEAK SIGNAL DXING
AND CONTESTING.  I have it set of Contesting since the CQ WW is on this
weekend.

Slow
Hang=00.00---Decay=5dB/s---Threshold=21.28uv

Med
Hang=00.00---Decay=20dB/s---Threshold=21.28uv

Fast
Hang=00.00---Decay=80dB/s---Threshold=21.28uv

Prog
Hang=00.00---Decay=20dB/s---Threshold=01.00uv

My settings should be used as an starting place.  Go from here and find the
settings you like, but I hope this will take some of the worry out of the
Orion AGC settings.  The only difference in the Slow, Med and Fast settings
is the Decay, the Decay gets faster as you go up in the settings.  In the
Programmable setting the Threshold setting I used will let you hear some of
if not most of the band noise.

These settings will not be for everyone but give them a try, who knows, you
may like them.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio
w8keb@arrl.net