Re: [TenTec] Crystal vs. DSP Filtering

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Crystal vs. DSP Filtering
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:46:52 +0000
Hmmm - all of the Omni's here - total of 5 including the two V's and the three
VI's - do best with the PBT indicator straight up and the manual notch all the
way hard right (unless you need to notch out a carrier). You can shift the PBT
to the 11:00 position and pick up some lows on the LSB (SSB and CW) modes and
to the 1:00 position on USB. Beyond that things go south rather hurriedly.

Most of the very few problems I have had with guest ops and Omni's has been the
guest's tendency to set the manual notch straight up, putting a BIG hole in the
pass band, and then complaining the "audio isn't right,""the rig's broke,"
etc.. The second most common problem is to have the PBT hard one way or the
other reducing the passband to darn near nothing.

And on that subject, the third most common problem is turning the processor to
the 3:00 or greater position and then turning the mike gain way up. Splatter
city!

Now, you realize that tastes vary. That's why there are 300 odd flavors of ice
cream. As far as my preference between crystal or DSP filtering, having used
several outboard DSP boxes on the Omni V's and the Omni VI+'s, and the Jupiter
and the Orion by themselves it's been my experience they compliment each other.
Each does something very well the other cannot do as well. The VI+'s version of
DSP with a fixed setting does a good job of cutting most forms of background
hash although it makes some signals harder to copy, the Jupiter's more advanced
DSP does an even better job, and the Orion's combination of narrow band crystal
filters plus an extrememly effective DSP is by far the best combination.

I don't feel particularly handicapped with straight crystal filtering - or with
straight DSP, but I do prefer the combination. And since your tastes are
probably not the same as mine YMMV.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E