Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ problem
From: "Mike Hyder --N4NT--" <N4NT_Mike.Hyder@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:04:07 -0500
Some of the older rigs, particularly the Triton 4's, could lose the diodes
that develop the AGC voltage due to a static discharge or the like.  Without
those diodes working, when the Drive is advanced, the rig can break into
oscillation.  A way to check for oscillation is to monitor the VSWR into a
resonant antenna (better with a tuner in-line) and watching for a jump in
the SWR.  Such a jump would mean that the transmitter is transmitting on
some frequency(ies) other than your fundamental.

Changing those diodes requires getting to the final PCB.  There are a couple
of other diodes there which develop the SWR metering voltage...  Change them
at the same time.

I do not know if the Omni VI uses a similar circuit to the earlier rigs, but
it's a place to look.

73, Mike N4NT