[TenTec] Orion does great in ARRL 160M contest

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion does great in ARRL 160M contest
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:37:58 -0500
        Nice report Tom and thanks for some creative ideas on
using diversity receive.  I played a bit in the contest mainly to
check out Orion's front-end under 160 contest conditions, which is
the toughest receiver test you will find anywhere IMHO.  I never
heard any IMD products in my normal mode of operation, but I
was able to create some under the following conditions:

Orion Preamp - ON
RF Gain - 100%
External Preamp for RX Beverages - max gain (>12 dB)

Never heard a thing with my Preamp at its usual minimum gain
setting.  I'll bet we never hear IMD products in Orion unless the
front end is intentionally overdriven with an external preamp.
Sayonara IMD bleeps and bloops...you will not be missed!

73, Bill W4ZV