Re: [TenTec] Solid State Amps

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Solid State Amps
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:32:16 -0500
Bill,

One further point

>       (3) The amplifier was:
>
>            (ii) Modified by the licensee for use at the licensee's
station.

I'm sure we could all 'modify' amps for use.  For example, does changing the
power plug to be compatible with my 12V distribution (RigRunner) count as a
modification?  Or does connecting the amp to my transmitter and antenna
constitute a modification?

My understanding of ham operations is that, for the most part, ham equipment
does not need to be type accepted unless it is sold (commercially). That
allows me to operate equipment that I have designed and built without
obtaining type acceptance.  On the other hand, as hams, we are responsible
for making sure that our equipment complies with certain technical
standards, such as spectral purity.

I'm sure that rules on HF amps were pretty much written to try and quell the
number of amps that were sold (legally) for illegal operation on the CB
bands. But that's a price we pay for living in a capitalistic society.  If a
buck can be made by complying with the letter of the law rather than the
spirit, someone will.  I personally feel that if a vendor knows (or has good
reason to suspect) that their customer is going to use their product
illegally then that vendor should have some liability.  One example that
should concern hams right now is that some vendors are selling TV
transmitters that operate in the ATV band they but don't mention that in the
advertisement, instead the transmitters are advertised for use in wireless
home security systems.

The amp situation is a shame because I currently have an SDR-1000 radio with
under 1 watt output. I would really like to buy an amp that would take the
power output to the 20+ watt level, but I'm going to have to jump through
hoops to do so. I don't have the skill or desire to homebrew one without
some sort of kit.

73,
Mark