Re: [TenTec] Solid State Amps

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Solid State Amps
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 08:32:49 -0500
You can't build more than 1 of a type per year if it is for HF or 6 meters.
You could build single band amplifiers of the same design except for different bands
as an example. Or you could build multi-band amplifiers of different designs ( 4-1000, 3-500z, 8877 etc).
I think the reason is to prevent a ham from building multiple "10meter" amplifiers that he may sell.
Which I have seen hams do years ago to make extra cash.

73
Bill wa4lav

At 08:16 AM 12/9/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Larry,

> We are legally entitled to build our own HF amplifiers... Build as many as
> you need for your own use.  The only restriction is the number of HF
> amplifiers that we can build for OTHERS...

Actually, I believe the FCC rules do limit the number you can build to one
per year. They don't say anything about the disposisiton.

§97.315 Certification of external RF power amplifiers.

(a) No more than 1 unit of 1 model of an external RF power amplifier capable
of

operation below 144 MHz may be constructed or modified during any calendar
year by an

amateur operator for use at a station without a grant of certification. No
amplifier capable

of operation below 144 MHz may be constructed or modified by a non-amateur
operator

without a grant of certification from the FCC.

Mark