Re: [TenTec] Re: Solid State Amps

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Solid State Amps
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 11:05:38 -0500
At 06:49 PM 12/8/2003 -0500, Ron Notarius WN3VAW wrote:
I would also respectively disagree with the notion that an amplifier that
gives you 500 W out for 4 W input on 10 meters is automatically assumed to
be a "CB" amplifier.   Would it raise some eyebrows?  Sure, but if you have
a QRP rig and you want to go QRO that way... why not?  (Not my cup of tea,
but not everyone likes tea the way I do.)

I like tea, but, if it is broad band (typically 40 thru 10 meters) and does not have switchable harmonic filters it
is most likely a CB amplifier. And if it is built for the CB crowd then it may not
be 500W with low distorted and with little splatter or not even 500Watts output at all, even CW.
It may be rated in those "BIRD" watts (recalibrated Bird wattmeters)

73
Bill wa4lav