Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion IP2 numbers

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion IP2 numbers
From: "Jim Reid" <jimr.reid@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:52:59 -1000
> Test Results:
>
> Frequency..Preamplifier. Mode. IP2 (dBm). Notes
>
> 14.02 MHz.... Off........... CW.. +63.0... Main Receiver
>
> 14.02 MHz.... On...........  CW.. +63.0... Main Receiver

It seems to me,  that the fact that the indicated output power
on the test instrument was +63dBm with the preamp both
Off and On,  further indicates that what ever was being
read had NO relation at all to the input signal attempts
to the Orion and 6 and 8 MHz.  The main rcvr just
does not respond to these frequencies....

Believe it would have been well to have a look at
the Orion output on a spectrum analyzer at 14.02,
not just a meter reading.  Wonder if the lab tried
varying the input test signal powers to see how the
alleged 2nd order IM responded;  if real 2nd order IM's
they would move in amplitude 2 dB for every 1 dB
change in the input test signal powers,  or multiples
thereof ( 6dB 2nd order delta for a 3dB input signal
level deltas on both f1 and f2).

Or perhaps someone can correct me,  if this is my
misunderstanding of the Main rcvr design goals and
specs.

73,  Jim  KH7M