[TenTec] Re: E-HAM Reviews

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: E-HAM Reviews
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:35:41 -0500
Hi Mario,

W4ZV> K1UO has a single vertical.

>Do you know how far is his vertical from the sea?

        Closest sea is approximately 30 km toward SSE direction but
about 500 km toward NE direction (Europe).

http://mapsonus.switchboard.com/bin/maps-maponly/usr=~3fdf8ce3.5b0fe.27e5.6/c=9/formName=setclickpost

W4ZV> IC-781's IMD degrades 20 dB from 20 kHz to 2 kHz spacings.

>I accept that as a valid tech argument but majority of users are not aware of it!

        I disagree, especially on 160m where groundwave is extremely
strong.  I have a neighbor ~3 km away who runs 100w to an inverted-L.
At S9+45 on the Orion, his signal is by far the strongest of anyone,
and routinely desensed my FT-1000MP whenever he came on the band.  Just
imagine how my 1.5kW and .35 wl vertical must sound to my neighbor!
I live in a rural area, 3 km from a very small town (population 400),
but imagine if I lived in a more crowded area like the NE USA or EU!
In Colorado I also lived in the country, about 5 km from a town of
population 5000, but was also within 6 km of K0RF and 3 km of W0YK,
both running 1.5 kW...and both easily desensed my TS-930S on 160m.

W4ZV> However, in the real world, only some are at the top of contest
results...

>I enjoyed beating YM Scott, W4PA in the simulated world of Dayton KCDX CW pile-ups :-)

        Congrats!  As I said before, winning contest scores are the
combination of many factors (operator, antennas/equipment, location,
etc).  My point was that Orion is certainly not a handicap and is
most likely an advantage in the hands of a good operator with good
antennas and a good location.

73, Bill W4ZV