[TenTec] Orion tuning rates

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion tuning rates
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:24:48 -0500
5B4AGN wrote:
>I don't seem to be able to get to a comfortable tuning rate for the VFO.

        Bob, you may not have discovered the 10X tuning rate change that
is toggled by depressing Main RX or Sub RX.  When toggled, you will
see "xm" appear by Step along with the new rate at 10X normal.

        My default on CW is Step 1 Hz and Enc Rate Fast for DXing.  When I
want to scan quickly, I toggle the rate and go to 10 Hz steps.  Yes,
there is a "digital" sound if you tune very quickly, but it does not
bother me.  If it does bother a lot of people, I suspect a solution
would be to change the Enc Rate to an even faster value, while leaving
Step set to 1 Hz.

        I believe I used xm 10 normally in the CQ WW CW Contest, and
toggled back to 1 if necessary when narrowing BW under extreme QRM.
On SSB, my default is 10 Hz and I toggle xm 100 for scanning quickly.

73, Bill W4ZV

P.S.  Regarding what the extremely fine rates are useful for, I suspect
it would be more for EME or situations using extremely narrow BW's.  I
sometimes use DSP Blaster externally which has a 50 Hz BW and Orion's
rate works very well with that.  With Orion's 100 Hz BW (which is
actually more like 150), it is probably overkill.