Re: [TenTec] Headphone clicks

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Headphone clicks
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:49:29 -0500
Jim Reid wrote:
I use a pair of AKG K 240 DF 600ohm headphones.

Going to the web site you give shows that they come with the mini-stereo connector plus an adapter to the standard 1/8" phono jack.

Yeah, some of that new fangled stuff, mini-stereo - hi. Mine have the standard 1/4" stereo plug, not a 1/8" plug, however I think because the manufacturers these days are trying to cater to the walkman crowd they've started building everything with the 1/8" plug and ship a 1/4" adapter.

But,  no indication that these phones are,  in fact,  stereo
as required for an Orion.  Are they?

Oh yes - they're definitely stereo. You can go right from your home stereo to your Orion or Jupiter with no hassle.

Where would you buy them, price?

zZounds.com has them for $130 with free shipping. I have bought a bunch of other stuff from them before and been very satisfied with their service.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKGK240DF

by the way... it's important to keep in mind that headphones that are great for music aren't always equally good for use on ham radio. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones that are absolutely awesome for music but - in my opinion - are not the best for ham radio.

CW signals that have short rise and fall times turn into thumpy DC clicks that drive me up the wall. This thumpy click seems to be enhanced by headphones that excel in low end reproduction. Sennheiser HD600 headphones are made to reproduce ultra low frequencies very well where the K240DF stops around 20Hz which seems to help.

73 Jason N1SU